Pages

Tuesday 24 December 2013

Happy Christmas

Happy Christmas everyone and thank you so much for reading my blog over the year (currently at the rate of 1,500 hits a month!).  If you read my last post you will realise why it's been a bit quiet on the blogging front here at chopkinsknits for the past couple of months.  However, despite a big chunk of sadness we have been working hard to decorate the house, wrap presents and bake Christmas goodies and so I think we are now ready



AND, still I had time for some jolly Christmas knitting.  Most of it is wrapped up under the tree but I can tell you about one very frivolous item.  At the beginning of November DD2 casually asked if I could knit her a Christmas sweater for 'wear a novelty jumper to school day' at the end of term.  I should say DD2 is not a student she is an art teacher.  So it goes without saying that she needed something, while not tasteful certainly not even on the cheeky side of rude but it needed to make a splash.  

Well my friend Alli suggested something based on a Primark sweater and involving lots of felt, pompoms, glitter and a glue gun.  But I just couldn't bring myself NOT to knit.  So with little delay I found this pattern on ravelry that uses super chunky Drops Eskimo.



so easy to order on-line


I added a few more decorations


reindeers around the yoke


red noses added later


caption as requested by DD2


and a little extra sparkle added on the day

By all accounts the sweater was well received (and the batteries in the lights lasted all day!).

Now I'm off for mince pies with a glass of good wine and wish you all...

A very Happy Christmas and a Peaceful New Year.

xx

c






3 comments:

Anita said...

Hi Catherine,
A Merry Christmas back at you. How clever are you to come up with such a great idea!! The top looks great and I bet a big hit with everyone who admired it.
Cheers, Anita.

Gracie Saylor said...

Thanks for sharing some of the story behind the wonderful sweater you made for your daughter, Catherine! Delightful! I have yet to complete knitting even a simple baby sweater, so I especially appreciate your skill and creativity. We have been having a Merry Christmas, and I am going to crochet a wreath around a plastic milk jug circle before I head to
bed : ) Blessings to you and yours as you continue to adjust to the recent loss of your loved one.

Unknown said...

Late to the post, but just noticed you used the reindeer pattern from Garn Studio. I used the concept to make hats with the bobble noses. But your sweater really takes the cake! So cute.